SPECIAL OFFER: A special offer is available for six or more of any of the 'Life' Series titles. .
New! An interactive version of our printed LIFE brochures, featuring a detailed global map and clickable hyperlinks that will take you to the catalog page for each program. View or download the map here.
Life is an ongoing award-winning series looking at how globalization is affecting ordinary people across the planet.
As the 2015 target for achieving the UN Millennium Development Goals approaches, LIFE 5 investigates the impact of globalization as developing nations respond to economic stress and attempt to create just futures.
NOTE: Six more series of LIFE programs are now available.
The titles in this series are:
1. Roma Rights - Breaking the cycle of Roma poverty and persecution.
2. School's Out! - Is the private school option better in a Lagos shantytown?
3. Srebrenica - Looking For Justice - Examines the massacre at Srebrenica on its 10th anniversary.
4. Killing Poverty - Has the corruption in Kenya lessened under its new president?
5. The Great Health Service Swindle - Reversing the brain drain in doctors and nurses from developing countries.
6. The Donor Circus - Zambia tries to change the conditions for international aid.
7. For Richer, For Poorer - In Brazil the gulf between the rich and the poor is one of the biggest in the world.
8. Kill Or Cure? - India's $4.5 billion dollar pharmaceutical industry that serves the world's poor is at a crossroads.
9. The Silent Crisis - The Central African Republic struggles to avoid economic and social chaos.
10. Cash Flow Fever - One in ten people on the planet either send or receive money from abroad.
11. Back In Business? - After 11 years of civil war, can Sierra Leone expect tourism to improve the economy?.
12. Kosovo - A House Still Divided? - Resentment and property ownership issues remain as the UN Housing Property Directorate Mission ends.
13. Trouble In Paradise - Local inhabitants of the Maldives wait for promised tsunami aid.
Grade Level: 7 - 12, College, Adult
US Release Date: 2006
Copyright Date: 2005
DVD ISBN: 1-59458-575-X
VHS ISBN: 1-59458-574-1
"The visual impact of the gripping documentaries in the Life 5 series make them extremely powerful teaching tools for university, and indeed, other classrooms. In succinct episodes they raise and contextualise some of the most critical issues in the world today. These episodes are produced in an extremely objective manner and allow an audience easily to come to grips with an array of complex problems. They ought to be an indispensable part of the teaching curriculum."
Dr. Jeremy Sarkin, Visiting Professor of International Human Rights, Tufts University
"School's Out! takes a controversial look at the 'grassroots' educational system of West Africa's largest city, Makoko, a shanty town on the lagoon of Lagos. Parents in these poor communities make many sacrifices in order to pay for their children's education and enrollment into unregulated private schools versus the free state schools...Do these private institutions do a better job of preparing young students for a brighter future or do they merely represent local convenience and a false sense of status?...Recommended for higher level research projects and as a great resource for public and academic libraries."
Deidra N. Herring, The Ohio State University, Educational Media Reviews Online