This series features seven-year old Daniel Cook. Well-mannered, inquisitive and intelligent Daniel explores the world around him through his own candid questions. Simple, pure, and honest, this is a series that allows children to view everything from Daniel's perspective, seeing what he sees and learning what he learns.
Each segment is six minutes long and they have been aggregated thematically into 13 half-hour episodes, each with 5 separate segments.
There is a companion interactive website to enhance and further the Daniel Cook experience.
The five 6 minute segments in Exploring and Discovering are:
1) THIS IS DANIEL COOK LEARNING ABOUT THE DESERT - Daniel learns about what types of animals and plants can survive in the dry desert environment. Daniel learns how snakes, scorpions and cactuses have adapted to the desert climate.
2) THIS IS DANIEL COOK MEETING AN ELEPHANT - Daniel joins a zoologist to visit an elephant he's taking care of. Daniel learns what snacks elephants like to eat and how they use their trunks to drink water.
3) THIS IS DANIEL COOK ON A SAFARI - Daniel's safari guide introduces him to all the different animals that live in the park including giraffes, impalas and rhinos.
4) THIS IS DANIEL COOK EXPLORING A CAVE - Daniel visits a cave and learns about the different kinds of animals that live in the dark. Daniel learns about bats before helping a scientist collect samples for study.
5) THIS IS DANIEL COOK EXPLORING A BEACH - Daniel is spending the day at the beach on the coast with a friend. Together, they search through seaweed, find snails hiding in the mud and learn about how ocean tides work.
The other episodes are:
14. Winter Fun - Daniel visits a winter festival, learns the sport of curling, goes downhill skiing and tobogganing, and learns how to care for and control sled dogs.
15. Celebrations Daniel carves a pumpkin, goes trick-or-treating, makes a valentine and an ornament, and decorates Easter eggs.
16. Special Things To Eat - Daniel tries new vegetables and makes maple syrup, a birthday cake, candy canes, and a yule log.
17. Special Things To Make - Daniel builds his own robot and makes a birdhouse, an animal totem, a puppet, and soap.
18. Interesting People, Interesting Jobs - Daniel gets an eye exam, learns about dog guides and yoga, visits a veterinarian, and helps a zookeeper.
19. Amazing Art - Daniel makes felt art, paints with watercolors, makes a self-portrait, draws a turtle, and makes a paper mache monster.
20. Water and Animals - Daniel sets up an aquarium, learns about fish and fishing, and goes whale watching.
22. Thrills and Chills Pt. 1 - Daniel goes go-carting, rides a rollercoaster, and visits a theme park, a water park, and a stunt show.
23. Thrills and Chills Pt. 2 - Daniel plays baseball, rides in a helicopter and a hot air balloon, digs for dinosaur bones, and goes on a camping trip.
24. Music - Daniel learns to conduct an orchestra, writes a song, sings jazz, visits a marching band, and learns to disco dance.
25. Nature, Science, and the Environment - Daniel visits a recycling plant, learns about butterflies, visits a waterfall, goes on an eco-adventure and studies rocks.
26. How Do They Do That? - Daniel goes on a tall ship, tastes new fruits, visits Medieval Times, learns about Egypt, and makes a gingerbread house.
Grade Level: Pre-K - Grade 2
US Release Date: 2006
Copyright Date: 2005
DVD ISBN: 1-59458-563-6
VHS ISBN: 1-59458-562-8
"What a delightful collection! It is a terrific variety of appropriate topics nicely grouped and with distinct parallels to the primary curriculum. Besides the value for children, I think the positive modeling of channeling the energy, focusing the interest and taking advantage of the curiosity is terrific! There is a lot for parents, caregivers, and teachers to learn from this series."
Sandi Zwaan, Educational Consultant
"[This is Daniel Cook] is a fun, entertaining, and quite interesting set of adventures... These videos are great for pre-K levels. Additionally, kids from fourth grade and under might find them somewhat intriguing. The ideal library niche for this set is a public library or early childhood learning center that might use them for both entertainment and inspiration."
Educational Media Reviews Online